B12 injections in Houston, TX
What is B12?
B12 is a water-soluble vitamin and is essential for our body's vital functions. Usually, B12 is found together with other B vitamins as a complex. Even though B12 can be found in many food substances that we eat, certain lifestyle habits and medical conditions may result in B12 deficiencies.
What is B12 deficiency?
B 12 deficiency occurs when your body does not have enough of this vitamin. The red blood cells production is regulated by this vitamin B12 and therefore a deficiency can lead to a blood disorder known as ‘pernicious anemia’, in which the red blood cells decrease in number and size. These red blood cells will find it hard to carry oxygen to different parts of the body and will lead to different symptoms and signs. The most common reasons for this condition are disturbances of B12 absorption in the gut and vegan or vegetarian diet.
Symptoms of B12 deficiency:
- Muscle weakness
- Shaky movements
- Unsteady gait
- Stiff or rigid muscles
- Urinary incontinence
- Low blood pressure
- Vision problems
- Mood disturbances
- Pale skin
- Red tongue
- Bleeding gums
- Weight loss and
- Diarrhea and constipations
Treating B12 Deficiency
B12 deficiency is a serious condition! They can ruin the whole system of the bodily functions. That is why in moderate to severe cases of vitamin B12 deficiency, the treatment is carried out as long-term administration of intravenous vitamin B12 and lifelong supplementation of the same B vitamin.
Treating Vitamin B12 deficiency with injections
Vitamin B12 will be administered as 1mg every week for 8 weeks and as 1mg per every month throughout the lifetime.
Why are vitamin B12 injections better than the oral supplements?
- As the amount of B12 absorbed in the gut is small. Exposing to gastric enzymes, acids and digestive actions of the gut can reduce the absorption rate of vitamin B12 in a greater manner. Therefore, vitamin B12 injections are the ultimate choice for correcting the errors. As they bypass the gut.
- Injections are the best way of battling pernicious anemia in the elderly people. As you age, the functional ability of the gut decreases and the absorption reduces. Even though you take supplement pills, the amount of B12 absorbed in the gut will be a lot lower than that you ingest.
- B12 injections are the best way of correcting the deficiency in kids. As they are growing fast, higher doses of vitamin B12 is required by the body.
- Many inexpensive oral supplements consist of only 100-200 micrograms of cyanocobalamin or methylcobalamin forms of B-12 and are insufficient for the correction of the deficiency. While the injections of vitamin B12 consist of 1-2 milligrams of cyanocobalamin is proven to correct the errors efficiently and rapidly.
- Taking B12 injections of 1-2 milligrams will not only treat and prevent B12 deficiency, but will also lower homocysteine levels in the blood, which will reduce the risk of heart diseases and strokes.
- High doses of this vitamin as in the injection form energize the body while battling with stress. It is highly indicated for athletes and sportsman before a competition as it increases the physical capabilities.
- During chronic fatigue syndrome, B12 injections are given as 6-7 milligrams per week for 3 weeks.